AFFECT_ROOM Spells (Non-Coding Post)

From: Brian Christopher Guilbault (guil9964@nova.gmi.edu)
Date: 12/19/95

It's Me Again...

This is not a coding problem, it's more of a dilemma that needs
suggestions: In the current Circle code, spells that affect the entire
room affect everyone in the room whether they be players or mobs. This is
a good thing the way I see it. It's ver realistic, "Okay, I'll go in,
cast the earthquake, then you guys come in and attack!" But, the problem
comes in when a player decides that he is pissed off and runs into a room
with newbies, casts earthquake at level 50 and does 2d8 + 50 damage (or
something close to that) killing all players under about level 5.

Well, now we are putting in some more powerful spells for the higher
levels. Suppose that same mage does the same thing with "nuke" which will
probably do about the damage of fireball, but to the room, not just vict.
Now you're looking at everyone under level 10 dying.

Our current system allows for a preference bit called OUTLAW which allows
players to kill other outlaws without penalty. However, if a non-outlaw
tries to kill anyone he will get flagged outlaw. So the problem comes in
as to whether to make room affecting spells affect mobs only, mobs and
outlaws only, everyone, etc.

What do you guys do about this? It is really unfair to let players just
get killed like that. What's to stop an outlaw mage from running around
the MUD casting "nuke" and killing lower level players? On the flip side,
how is it fair or realistic to have a killer spell like that not affect
players? Interesting delemma eh?

Any feedback appreciated,

   -Dante of QuarantineMUD