Re: showstr_point/head

From: Gary Waliczek (pfiler@dph.isdn.uiuc.edu)
Date: 12/29/95

On Wed, 27 Dec 1995, Steve wrote:

> I dunno what I did, but a little after changing the alias char from $ to
> % i noticed that occasionally when paging you would get bizzar crap at
> the end of your page.
>
> example from typing: wizlist
>
>                                    DEMI GODS
>
>                                     CREATOR
>                           Possum   Probe   RedBaron
>
>                                     AVATARS
>                                      Hate
>
>                                    IMMORTALS
>    Kalanor
>
> *** Press return to continue, q to quit ***
> ]
> Carried: weight: 0, items: 0; Items in: inventory: 0, eq: 0
> Hunger: -1, Thirst: -1, Drunk: -1, Bladder: 0
> Master is: <none>, Followers are: Probe
>
> now i did nothing to change showstr_point/head which is what i believe
> controls what text you get to page through, are there any ideas on what
> could have happened for this to happen?

I can't tell you what you did to get this, but at the end of what you are
trying to send you are getting the contents of a previously used (by some
other character) buffer.  I don't know why you'r getting it but a easy
hack would be to set the first character in the buffer to /0 (or if you
are setting the buffer directly, make sure at the end of the text you
want you have a \0 character.)

Gary