objects in nowhere

From: Hades (tourach@cyber1.servtech.com)
Date: 02/25/96

I keep getting tons of objects located in nowhere... and can't seem to track
down how they are getting there. I found one bug that left an object in
nowhere if you tried to equip something in a position which was already
occupied, but I'm having other objects get lost and dunno how. No players
have complained of losing objects so it's not from them, and some objects
that aren't supposed to load are getting lost.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could look to see if I can
find why these objects are getting lost?

At one point after 24 hours uptide I had 772 objects in nowhere. I quickly
added the: purge nowhereobjs option :)

Also, I am running a basic dikued-like olc off the circle site, and every
time I olced, it changed the afxD character flags into a numberic 152435 or
whatever, which means nothing to me when I manually edit the file. So I
wrote a simple function to convert a number into it's string format. (46
being: bcdf). It's a bit sloopy and I'm sure it could be done MUCH better
than I have, but if anyone wants the code to use in their olc so the written
files look much nicer, just drop me a line... well actually it's a tiny
function, I'll just post it regardless. If you use it, or have a suggestion
on how to make it more efficient, drop me a line, I'd like to know.

Here it is:

char *num_to_char(unsigned long i)
{
  int x, ctr = 0;
  char txt[MAX_INPUT_LENGTH] = "";
  char ab[] = {'a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e', 'f', 'g', 'h', 'i', 'j', 'k', 'l',
               'm', 'n', 'o', 'p', 'q', 'r', 's', 't', 'u', 'v', 'w', 'x', 'y',
               'z', 'A', 'B', 'C', 'D', 'E', 'F', 'G', 'H' };

  if(i == 0) {
    strcpy(buf, "0");
    return buf;
  }

  for(x = 0; x <= 31; x++) {
    if(i < (1 << x))
      continue;
    if(i & (1 << x)) {
      txt[ctr] = ab[x];
      ctr++;
    }
  }
  strcat(txt, "\0");
  strcpy(buf, txt);
  return buf;

}

Every time I tried to use buf directly it had leftover strings in it so i
just worked on txt, copied it into buf then returned that. Any imporments?
let me know.

Hades