Re: Corpse Looting

From: Pink Floyd (floyd@south.mit.edu)
Date: 03/09/96

   I greatly appreciate all the responses to my room bitvector post and now
   I have just one more question. We are having major problems on Quarantine
   involving corpse looting. What I would like to do is log when a player
   takes an object from another's corpse. Logging the get from a corpse is
   easy, but how do I distinguish between PC and NPC corpses since all
   corpses are in the *corpse list, and are not segregated by player or NPC
   types? Logging every item taken from every corpse is ridiculous. Anyone
   have any solutions? Hacks are appreciated too :-)

As you surely know, the object structure has a field
int value[4]
somewhere in it.  As you also must have discovered in your own tries at
solving this problem, when a corpse is made it sets one of the values,
value[3] I believe, to a certain value signifying that the container is a
corpse and nothing may be put into it.  With little or no creativity, one
can imagine slightly modifying the system so that the number not only
represents _whether_ the object is a corpse, but even what _sort_ of corpse
it is!
I can see how this terrible problem could have stumped you, its quite
challenging....
No, seriously though, wouldn't it have been more satisfying if you had simply
thought about it for, say, 5 seconds, and discovered the solution yourself?