Re: CircleMUD patchlevel 11 debugging underway...

From: Michael Buselli (mhbusell@midway.uchicago.edu)
Date: 03/31/96

On Sun, 31 Mar 1996, Brian Pape wrote:

> > > I have Circle 3.0 patch 11 running under Windows again - I've made some
> > > fixes (most notably, I've ported the nonblocking socket I/O code to Win,
> > > so the lag that you were experiencing while other people were logged in
> > > should hopefully be gone now.)
> > > -Jeremy
> > >
> > and around patch level 4 or 5 you said it would be impossible to port it
> > anywhere but os/2
>
> Do you have a problem with that?  Not that I ever plan on ever running it
> under windows, but there's no reason for jerks like you to give him grief-
> It's nice that he was able to get it to port.  Not to mention, under
> pl4/5, he probably didn't have a copy of win95 api available to work with.

     At some point Jeremy has to stop adding new features and start fixing
those that are in place.  I would imagine that is why he said (read his
electronic lips) "no new ports" :).  Sounds like to me he has a new toy to
play with (that being C++ for his windows) and he felt like making the mud
compile with it.  Nothing wrong with that in my book.  I have several
friends that are interested in this port, since it means they can run
circle as well, in some cases on their home computers, and in some cases
to free up some resources on an overloaded unix server by running it on a
PC instead.  Both are cases where installing linux isn't an option for
them.

Michael Buselli
m-buselli@uchicago.edu
http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/mhbusell/