virtual areas

From: Mark Devlin (markd@eskimo.com)
Date: 04/06/96

Has anyone implemented a 'virtual area' on their MUD? I'm looking to do
this, but don't really know where to start.

I'd like to have an area of the map that can change (size, layout, etc).
Generally, all the rooms will have the same descriptions.  Also, I'd
like to be able to recreate the area without shutting down (no mobs or
players would be in the area at that time, of course).

Some examples of what I'd like to be able to do:
	A magical forest whose paths are never the same.
	A minotaur's maze that changes every time the minotaur is defeated.
	A desert that has frequent sandstorms (helps with the disorientation
	  factor).
There are others, but those are the ones I don't care if anyone swipes.
:-)

The maze-generation stuff I can find elsewhere, so all I'm looking for
is information on the 'virtual' rooms.

On a somewhat unrelated note, what are "THE" sites for code and areas,
other than cambot?  I'm mainly interested in others' work to learn how
to do it.  I'm not a big fan of using others' work verbatum.  No fun
that way.  :-)

Pre-thanks for any help.

- Mark
markd@eskimo.com	(finger markd@eskimo.com for my PGP signature)