?: operator (was Re: your mail)

From: Mark Devlin (markd@eskimo.com)
Date: 04/07/96

On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, The Gathering MUD wrote:

> Hello..  i have a question..

Hello..  I have an answer.  :-)

>     sprintf(buf2, "%s[ Exits: %s]%s\r\n", CCCYN(ch, C_NRM),
> +->	  *buf ? buf : "None! ", CCNRM(ch, C_NRM));
> |   send_to_char(buf2, ch);
> |
>     Would someone please explain to me what this line does?  It is from
>     act.informative.c, in the autoexit code, around line 300

In pseudoenglish:
	if the first character in buf is not '\0', then use buf.
	otherwise, use the string "None! "
I assume you can figure out the rest of that line yourself.

The ?: operator works like an if..else block, but 'returns' the results.
The format is: (expr) ? (if expr non-zero) : (if expr zero)
That probably wasn't clear...here's some examples:
All the numbers are arbitrary, they can be anything.

int a = 1, b = 2, c;

c = (a > 0) ? 1 : 0;	// c will be set to 1
c = (a < 0) ? 1 : 0;	// c will be set to 0
c = (a > b) ? a : b;	// c will be set to b (2) because a is not greater
			// than b
Anything you can assign from something can be used in the "if expr (non)zero"
parts.  This includes the result of a function, a pointer, variable, etc.

The above three examples converted to if..else:
if (a > 0)
	c = 1;
else
	c = 0;

if (a < 0)
	c = 1;
else
	c = 0;

if (a > b)
	c = a;
else
	c = b;

The advantage of ?: is that it's an operator, returning a result, rather
than a statement.  It can be used anywhere a value can be used (like
the sprintf() in the original code).

Hope I explained that well enough.  If not, time to get a good book on
C programming.  Of course, you should have one anyway if you're coding.

- Mark
markd@eskimo.com	(finger markd@eskimo.com for my PGP signature)