Re: your mail

From: ShadowLord (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 04/09/96

On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Marcelo Valle Moreira wrote:

>     obj = read_object(r_num, REAL);
>     obj_to_char(obj, ch);
>     act("$n snaps his fingers.", TRUE, ch, 0, 0, TO_ROOM);
>     act("You notice $n has created something.!", FALSE, ch, obj, 0, TO_ROOM);
>     act("You create $p.", FALSE, ch, obj, 0, TO_CHAR);
>   } else
>     send_to_char("That'll have to be either 'obj' or 'mob'.\r\n", ch);
> }

Erm, did you say that you changed 'load' to use object names?  A bad idea,
IMHO.  Virtual numbers are much easier than trying out a wide variety of
keywords to load one object...  If I didn't know something's keywords, but
did know it had the 'sword' keyword, I'd be there all day typing 'load obj
sword', 'load obj 2.sword', etc., etc.  Plus, for objects that only have
general keywords, the next time the world is changed/next reboot/etc. the
immortal has to refigure out how to load the thing...

Sure, it sounds nice, but it's a big pain in the ass, IMHO..  the current
way of using vnum and the VNUM command works and I believe it to be the
sturdiest way availible.

btw, I made a change to 'load'/'stat' and the object saving routines to
save the loading immortal's id.  That way, I can prevent lower immortals
from giving any equip that they loaded to people (eg., I can just check if
the object/mobile has the same idnum and then refuse selective commands).
Furthermore, I can find out when immortals are helping players and to what
degree... :)