Re: Just wondering, anyone as insane as Hades?

From: Jaco van Iterson (J.C.vanIterson@ET.TUDelft.NL)
Date: 04/11/96

I still think a table is the best solution to store the rooms in.
Mainly becouse it uses less memory and I think it's easyer to handle.
I also think it's faster at boot up time becouse you don't have to set
link pointers.

This leaves the problem of creating new room in a OLC.
In the OLC I use the world aray is just extended by one and resorted when
a new room is created. I mean a realloc(++size of word), move all rooms on and
after the new rooms position 1 position nearer to the top, and create a valid
entry for the new room.
Then the OLC looks for all room references (in the char list and in the world)
to (real) roomnumbers higher or equal to the new roomnumber and increases them.
After this we have a valid world array again with 1 extra room.

This isn't that hard to implement and you don't have to change the world-
structure for it.

Changing the room references from an index number to a pointer is a good idea
though. I just don't like the idea of the room array being a linked list.

Jaco

BTW.
Some time back I did send a huge mail about character related structures to
this list. Did anyone receive it? Should I send it again?