Re: Just wondering, anyone as insane as Hades?

From: Michael Buselli (mhbusell@midway.uchicago.edu)
Date: 04/11/96

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Hades wrote:

> Unles you changed the data type from int to long int, you can only have
> 32768 rooms. And when you have 48mb of ram solely dedicated to the mud,
> 32768 * size_of(struct world_index_data); is not a lot.

     True, but when I did my hash table convertion I was running on a
machine with 4 megs not dedicated to the mud (kernel size 1 meg, too)...
and I managed to keep it flying.

     When adding new code such as mobprogs, fight routines, and olc
procedures I always think about the effect on the load things are going to
have.  I had to back on the 4 meg machine, and it really helps out even
now when I'm on a 16 meg machine.  Running X plus the mud doesn't effect
my load at all.  Currently it's sitting at constant 0.00, which is a
number I like to see.  This may not be important now, but I don't know if
I'll be moved to an overloaded machine next week, and if my mud can run
with less CPU and less memory consumption than another, then I'm more
likely to have playable conditions on the mud itself instead of a decade
of lag anytime a player sneezes on his keyboard the wrong way. :)

Michael Buselli
m-buselli@uchicago.edu
http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/mhbusell/