Re: Just wondering, anyone as insane as Hades?

From: Michael Buselli (mhbusell@midway.uchicago.edu)
Date: 04/10/96

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Johan Eenfeldt wrote:

> Thats cool!
>
> But what did it do to the CPU load? (During zone reboot and such)

     I did this same thing to mob and obj prototypes.  I have a linked
list for linear traversals, and I also have them hashed for fast virtual
number look ups.  I don't have exact numbers to throw at you, but the mud
boots up really fast (small player base --> rent checks are quick).

> Changing from array and binary searches to linked list and linear should
> result in a quite a jump. (But hey, it does sound cool ;-) )

     It does.  I imagine that if I hadn't had the hash tables as well as
the linear list, things would be really nasty.  As long as you have an
alternate way to look things up, though, it's not a problem.  This does
remind me, though... I have to increase the size of my hash tables again.
:)

> You didn't think about using a tree or something to store it?
>
> I'll give it a try when I return from vacation. As I have already spent
> hours fixing general treehandling routines I can use that, and... and... ;-)

Michael Buselli
m-buselli@uchicago.edu
http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/mhbusell/