Re: Just wondering, anyone as insane as Hades?

From: Michael Buselli (mhbusell@midway.uchicago.edu)
Date: 04/10/96

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Hades wrote:

> Well why would it have to search the files lineraly? To find the target
> room? Already though of that. When the world boots up it creates
> world_index[]. All world index is is a structure array (kinda like how the
> world used to be set up) and when you give it a vnum like so:
> world_index[1031].room that is a pointer to room vnum 1031, so there is no
> searching on zone resets, which is even FASTER than real_room because even
> real_room had to hit a for loop to do a binary search, whereas world_index
> just throws me a pointer without any searching.

     Watch the load on your machine climb when you have to do a large
number of vnumber to pointer conversions, such as at start up.  If you've
found a way to avoid that, tell me.  As I mentioned in a previous message,
I've done this for mob and obj prototypes (and I've done it for zone
structures too, but I figured they don't matter as much), and my
real_XXX() functions are still needed to convert vnumbers to pointers.
Your scheme will be keeping the CPU real busy.  I use hash tables.  My CPU
is happy.

Michael Buselli
m-buselli@uchicago.edu
http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/mhbusell/