Re: throwing classes out the window

From: ShadowLord (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 04/13/96

On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, Mark Devlin wrote:

> Before I get into something I might not be able to get out of, what's
> involved in junking all the classes and levels and making a skill-based
> system?
>
> I have always disliked class-based systems. There's little variety, and
> they get boring quickly in my opinion. Maybe my 50 year old warrior
> decides magic ain't so bad after all. He'll save money on bandages if
> he can learn some healing magic. His friends would never know, and he
> wouldn't have to hang out with those religious fanatics always trying to
> convert him to The One True Path (of the Day). :-)
>
> Anyway, I already have a system in mind, so all the work is in the code.

	I removed classes from my MUD, it wasn't that difficult, it just
taked a while to do.  All it really involved was searching for instances
of GET_CLASS and getting rid of them, it also took making a new thac0
table, etc, etc.  It sounds harder than it is.
	Anyway, if you want to see how it's worked for me so far, you can
check out my MUD at <dstar.california.com 4000>, I'm not finished with my
modifications, I haven't removed experience, yet, but that's next on my
list after I figure out the few crash bugs I have managed to encounter
(none of them are related to anything to do with classes/etc.)

--
Daniel Koepke
The Keep: dstar.california.com 4000 (development)