A couple questions.. (fwd)

From: Billy H. Chan (陈浩然) (bhchan@po.EECS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: 04/16/96


You recently wrote:
   Subject: A couple questions..
   FROM : <sorry, lost your return address somewhere>
   
   Also I was thinking of changing player classes to a bitvector to handle 
   multiclass...  Would that be a good way of going about it, or should I 
   try something else?
   
That's how I managed it the first time I did multiclass... a pl8 based
version for reference _is_ available at cambot.  20 guesses at who wrote
it. :)
Now, looking back, I'd probably use a function of sorts to translate
between
	#define CLASS_MAGE 0
        #define CLASS_CLERIC 1
to their relevent bitvectors and back, it's all academic, and should be
a good excersise in coding, so I'll bugger off now and recommence lurking.

Problem with using bv is, you're limited to 32 or so distincted classes,
which might be a little restrictive for some.  And hte byte class has to
be changed to long class... and the original single-class implementation
allows up to 256 distinct classes.

Another method, slightly less impressive, is to preallocate x extra byte
classes:
	byte class2;
	byte class3;
        ...
And change the various class checking macros... should really go g++ and
use inline functions if you're not going to be porting around.

btw: my set of around 20 extra socials have been diff'ed and uploaded to
cambot...instructions included therein.
   
   



This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : 12/18/00 PST