Re: multi-classing

From: Michael Buselli (mhbusell@midway.uchicago.edu)
Date: 04/22/96

On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, jeremy jubenville wrote:

>   I hate writing the list because I feel as if my questions have been
> asked several times before.  However, I'm looking for advice on the best
> way to implement multi-classing.  Several come to mind (e.g. defining new
> classes or adding new fields to the char_data structs), but I'd like to
> hear the thoughts of some of the coding gurus or those who've
> successfully implemented this allready.

     I haven't implemented this, but if I had to I would probably remove
the class and level fields and replace it with a combined class/level
array.  It would be an array of unsigned chars whose size is the number
of classes you have plus a few for expansion.  Then a particular
character's level in a particular class would be reference in the array.
You would probably have to move immortalness and implementorness into a
bitfield or a separate level field that would always remain zero for
mortals, since it would be a pain to check all the levels of a character
to see if he's an immortal or implementor.

Michael Buselli