Re: Read languages(runes) skill

From: ShadowLord (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 04/30/96

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Brian Pape wrote:

> Evidentally you've never heard a foreign language...  You might be able to
> understand small portions of another romance language, but try, for
> instance, to tell me what someone is saying in Vietnamese...  Unless you
> know the language, you wouldn't have a clue.

	Excuse me?  Who said anything about UNDERSTANDING what the person
said?  You obviously, aren't adept at comprehending English.  I said
nothing about understanding the person, what I did say was that it was
possible to distinguish where one ends and another begins by the pauses in
their speach in combintaion with a bit of common sense and fleuncy check.
Although it's not exactly fool proof, I can 75% of the time figure it out.
	In addition, why are you talking about real languages?  To a point
MUDs can imitate life, and at a certain point, they should stop trying to
imitate it.  What does comprehension of heard sentences have to do with
MUDs, which are (for the means of communication) text-based?  It stands
that this is unrelated to MUDs because you can not determine what someone
hears when they're READING.  That's the main problem with languages.  And
I'm utterly tired of this thread.  We've got plenty of suggestions, go
implement one if you want to, if you come up with something that's better
THEN post it.