Re: Paladins (fwd)

From: Billy H. Chan (bhchan@po.EECS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: 05/08/96

<Strom finds a nice tall horse and stands on it>
Don't want to sound high on myself or anything, but is it me or has there
been an increase in people not knowing how to program in the first place
asking technical questions about the programing language itself?  I find it
strange why people can't go buy a nice book or two on how to program in C
before doing it.  It's really easy if you read first.
Wasn't Chris writing a FAQ on coding?  If so, read that first, I'm sure
most of the more newbie-ish "Where do I.. what does this mean?" questions
are answered there.... For instance, the multiple attacks code has been
gone over at least 2x since I joined the list... if you want a lot of this
stuff done, look in the Lostlands distribution where I've put in most of the
multi*blah* stuff... use it like a sample code on how something might be
done, sometimes elegantly, most of the time, not. (Yes, this is a shameless
plug... but the code's free)
Now, for a good book on how to program in C, the one I learned off of,
and still use as a valuable reference:
	2nd Ed. The C Programming Language by Kernighan and Ritchie
Some others (who're now gone, wonder why) have suggested others... For
instance, the Learning <blah> series by the O'Reilly people are very good.
If you can't spend the $30 for a book, skip your next game purchase and do
everyone a favor.
Get these books so stupid == problems (don't mean to pick on that guy
specifically) will stop spamming the list.  As well as those who are code
blind... go enlighten thyself. RTFM/RTFB
<Strom gets off the high horse>
-- Billy  H. Chan     bhchan@po.eecs.berkeley.edu  bhchan@csua.berkeley.edu
   CogSci/CompSci     http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~bhchan     ResumeInside
   ^^^-yes, real coding background... strange huh?     Yes, job hunting-^^^