Re: IDEA: Alternative to banks...

From: Barid Bel Medar (icarus@berkshire.net)
Date: 05/12/96

On Mon, 13 May 1996, Chris Dodd wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Well, this is not newbie :)  Just a question/idea message.
>
> Basically, has anyone out there scrapped banks?  I did not
> like the idea of them, so was contemplating putting in a
> usury notes instead.  My idea was to have the keeper(usurer)
> sell the notes.  The note has a vnum on it, of course.  If
> you take the note to the same person, he gives you the value
> of it, but if you take it to say, another town, you get a much
> lower value.  Probably have to add more code so that the note
> gets face value at one shop, but not another.

Well, if you want to make it really interesting, add a file called
economy.c that changes the current going rates for the various currencies
as compared to each other.  This way, your players can make a profit just
by selling different materials at different times.

Anyway...  define a home bank for each currency, have it go for face
value there, but different rates at all the other banks.  Just add a bank
bit for the rooms, and for the currency item an affect that defines the
vnum of the home bank.  If you do it that way, you might even be able to
have multiple home banks.

You can also have moneychangers work this way, too (instead of banks, if
you want), so they can rip off the players and give your character the
profits at the end of each day.  That'd be pretty cool, actually.  Maybe
I'll make a moneychanger guild.

> Anyone done something like this, and if so, how was it received
> by the players.
>
> Chris

Barid Bel Medar                               icarus@berkshire.net
Knights of the Cosmos            Shayol Ghul Resort and Health Spa
"I  am  returning  this otherwise good typing paper to you because
someone has printed gibberish all over it and  put  your  name  at
the top." - English Professor, Ohio University