Re: Compiling while mud is up.

From: Ole Gjerde (gjerde@plains.nodak.edu)
Date: 05/29/96

On Wed, 29 May 1996, George wrote:

> > > 1) Edit your Makefile, so that it makes bin/circle1 instead of bin/circle.
> > > That way it actually writes to a file other than bin/circle when it
> > > compiles.  Just basically scan through your Makefile and look for any
> > > instance of bin/circle and replace it with bin/circle1... no biggie.
> Much easier to just rename your main file to circle5 for example and then
> change one line in your autorun file.

An easier way (IMO), is to have the Makefile mv or rm the bin/circle
file (before linking), then link it.  This will work with most unixes
where you get "Text file busy" trying to overwrite a running executable.
I know at least it works for Linux, as it doesn't unlink bin/circle
file until after it's not used anymore (If you didn't understand this
last line, ignore it :)

----
Ole Gjerde
Homepage: http://www.winternet.com/~gjerde
Email: gjerde@plains.nodak.edu, gjerde@winternet.com, jander@fix.bbs.no
Studying Computer Science at North Dakota State University
"Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."
                                                  -- Unknown/Nem Schlecht