Re: PROPOSAL: Dynamic Object and Mob support

From: Skylar (skylar@ifconfig.intserv.com)
Date: 06/10/96

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, George wrote:

> Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:58:30 -0400 (EDT)
> From: George <gagreer@dragon.ham.muohio.edu>
> To: circle@pvv.unit.no
> Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Dynamic Object and Mob support
>
> On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Skylar wrote:
>
> > obj->short_description  = str_dup("an object with its own short descrip");
> > mob->player.short_descr = str_dup("a unique mob");
>
> Funny, my strdup still changed the proto :)
> shrug, guess writing the function in 5 mins had something to do with it..

Well, it might just be because you're using your machine's strdup()
function as opposed to the str_dup() from utils.c, I dont know.

I just added a "short" case to do_set in act.wizard.c on a virgin
copy of circle 3.0b patch level 11 to make sure it works...

case 48:
  vict->player.short_descr = str_dup(val_arg);
  break;

Here's the results...

Script started on Mon Jun 10 17:20:23 1996
---snip---
Limbo
   You are floating in a formless void, detached from all sensation of physical
matter, surrounded by swirling glowing light, which fades into the relative
darkness around you without any trace of edges or shadow.
   There is a "No Tipping" notice pinned to the darkness.
> load m 1
You create Puff.
> load m 1
You create Puff.
> set puff short The Anti-Puff
Okay.
> load m 1
You create Puff.
> force room say I am unique!
Okay.
Puff says, 'I am unique!'
The Anti-Puff says, 'I am unique!'
Puff says, 'I am unique!'
> quit
Goodbye, friend.. Come back soon!
---snip---
ifconfig# exit
Script done on Mon Jun 10 17:22:27 1996

It works... at least for me, maybe its machine dependent, but I'd definitely
try using str_dup() instead of strdup() before embarking on some re-writting
project of the string sharing code...

-Sky