CODE: Methodology for Intro System

From: Jeeves (philipe@[198.49.101.10)
Date: 06/17/96

Hello everyone.

I am, as indicated by the subject, asking about the best method for
the implementation of introductions on my mud. This would mean that a
new character would not know the names of any other characters (he
would see only short descriptions for actions, long descriptions for
standing characters) until a character used the introduce command on
him, which would then allow him to TELL to that person, refer to that
person by name, and see that person in the WHO list. This is proving
difficult to implement for me, but I want to do it badly enough to
keep plugging away at it. Here are the problems:

1) A new structure or three dimensional array would have to be put in
the main player structure. This array/structure would contain the
names of introduced players. Writing the code for either is simple
enough, but I can't figure out which one to use. Any suggestions?

2) The who command would need drastic alteration, although it is one
of the densest DO functions I have ever seen. This I can probably
take care of, merely by adding code to check if each of the players
introduced to the actor are connected, and if so to display their
names and titles.

3) The toughest part is dealing with the act() function itself. First
of all, I can't find it. Second, I don't really know how to go about
changing it, even if I do find out where it is hiding. I am thinking
that the GET_NAME function would have to be changed to display the
short desc of the actor unless any of the onlookers are introduced to
him, in which case the actor's name would be printed instead. A
little guidance (or a lot of guidance ) in the right direction would
be much appreciated (and restore my faith in this list ;) . If anyone
has implemented this on their own mud, I would truly appreciate
advice from these people.

I can usually figure out these things by myself, but everyone needs
help once in a while.

Also, we at CalaisMUD are in need of another builder (preferably one
who wouldn't mind taking orders at the beginning, and has a lot of
time on his/her hands), as one of ours is too lazy to be worth
anything. Please mail me at <philipe@basix.com> if interested.
Jeeves, A Butler for Hire
Creator/IMP/Builder of CalaisMUD (under development)