RE: [Circle] [NEWBIE] Running Under Win95

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@polarnet.com)
Date: 08/20/96

On Monday, August 19, 1996 3:04 PM, Mike Prior[SMTP:mike.prior@neis.com.au] wrote:
>I use Windows 95 for my MUD, compiling with MSVC++ Version 4, once the
>makefile has been changed and conf.h.win copied to conf.h then it
>compiles straight out.  I had it running for 18 days straight with no
>crash and only a power failure brought it down, it's very stable.  You
>need a fair amount of RAM to run it well.  UNIX uses a lot less
>resources, but I wouldn't discourage anyone using 95 at all.

You wouldn't? I sure would.. Though maybe you found a good solution to a few
show stoppers under 95..

1) Disabling the dialog box when the mud crashes..
2) Having to redo the entire logging setup.. A shell script sure handles that
for you nicely.
3) Regardless of whether your work for microsoft, pray a lot or are just plain
lucky.. unix is going to be a lot more stable than 95 will ever be.

4) Implementing a remote access feature is much harder as well.. Reachout,
PC/Anywhere and the like are nowhere near as stable as rlogin.

Of course if you use unix, and are not a unix expert, then you can be sure that
a million little holes will be in your machine.. leaving it an open door to people
who know the little shell script to the password file thing, etc

My two cents.

--Gary
- http://www.polarnet.com/Users/gbarnett/ - telnet:mud.polarnet.com (4000)