Re: [ADMIN]Firewalls....

From: Franco (awe@mt.arias.net)
Date: 09/22/96

        This is not true. If the "hacker" can upload to any spot on the machine
through a firewall, it can be hacked. It is possible to open up a single port on
a machine behind a firewall, and if that port has a mud running all the time, it
cannot be hacked.
        However, if the attacker can bring down the game itself (not hard to do,
with floodpings), then the port will sit open with enough time to upload a
modified
/lib/c directory to the machine.
        When someone telnets into a machine, during the time the machine
asks for
username/passwd, it is running out of the /root/bin/bash directory. Once a login
and passwd are given, it then switches to the access of the user.
        If one is crafty (dont write back on how to do it), they can tell
the current
bin/bash root login prompt to look in the new /lib/c directory for access,
which of
course has been modified with a backdoor root passwd, and therefore get a
true root
on the box.
        So it _IS_ possible to hack any machine behind a firewall that has
an open port.
Most machines that are firewalled still have one major security hole, port
25 or sendmail,
but I'll let you figure that one out on your own.

                                Franco
                                awe@ieway.com