Re: [code] Playerfile conversion

From: Niese-Petersen (Tenp@cris.com)
Date: 10/04/96

> > Hopefully we'll see ascii pfiles in the future.
>
> Well, ascii playerfiles ain't all glory :P You can have people mess
> arround with it easily, and I've been told that on some operating systems
> it will use a tremendous amount of space, not to mention that a flexible
> ASCII player/obj/etc. file system would have to include a lot of 'fill'
> information, like what type of field you are loading/saving etc. Ofcourse
> the upside is, that it will (sometimes :P) be easier to add/delete entries
> in ascii file formats, and that the portability will be very high (unless
> some OS refuses to read ASCII pfiles *grin*).

Binary files aren't that glory either :)

True that some OS systems use lot of space just to write a byte, which ofcoz
sucks :)  But I'm not planing to put it on Win95 or so :)

I can't figure out where you got the idea, that it need fields of what
it have to save/load ? Never had use for that in my ASCII player files.
Ofcoz you have to make sure to load it in, in the order you saved it :)

I saved space on my ASCII player files [at least 50%], and that was even
after I added around 170 bytes more to the player save info, than I had
when I used binary playerfile.

Same goes for ASCII object(rent) files.  Things are very flexible when
you have to delete/add stuff.

Only down side I can find is, then more time it takes to work with
text files vs. binary files.  But I can't feel the extra time it takes.

:) Refuse reading ASCII files.. Haven't met the system yet. But then again
I wouldn't place a MUD on such system.

---
Erik Niese-Petersen
Aka Quint The typo God