Re: [code] Playerfile conversion

From: Jeremy Elson (jelson@jhu.edu)
Date: 10/06/96

> With all this ascii pfile talk going on, I started thinking about it,
> and it does have it's pro's and cons... what I've started it a little
> combination of both ascii and binary... for the most part the binary file
> will contain structs that aren't likely to change, and in the ascii files
> are things like poofin/out since only imms use it and there's no reason
> to eat up all that wasted space by adding it to the binary pfile for
> everyone.
>
> For anyone looking for an easy way to implement it, I just copied the mob
> espec code, and made some changes, and wrote a quick little routine for
> saving it.

That's what the 'etext' system is (that's in bpl12) - it uses a text file
in conjunction with the binary playerfile to save stuff like aliases,
poofin/poofout, etc.  Eventually I'd just like to do away with all these
files (i.e. the binary file, the etext file, and the rent file) and
combine all 3 into a single ASCII playerfile.