Re: CODE RFC Room Programming Design

From: Ebon Mists (mud@quake.cloudnet.com)
Date: 10/08/96

Dear lord... that's a whole hell of a lot of code. As to finishing it this
year, I'm not so sure about it.  See stuff like that is great and all...
but... it sucks up a shitload of cpu time figuring out your programs (as
they cannot be pre-compiled into an executable) and especially since you
want it to be dynamic (IE not have to be rebooted for a changed program to
work), hence every 5 or so seconds you call your program it's going to have
to interpret it all over again.

Honestly, room specials are a lot easier and 1,000x more efficient than what
you have suggested. I applaud the idea, it is one awesome thing, but is it
really worth it? If you think about efficency, both your idea and mobprogs
are lacking in it. I used to have mobprogs, and took it out because of the
bogging down it does of the cpu. On smaler muds this isnt a problem, but on
something as huge as Ebon Mists, it's pretty hefty :)

Anyway, if there is anything I can help you with just say the word. I'd love
to try and tackle a programming challenge like that.

Hades

Ps. How can you have 50k of qbits on each player without wasting memory? 50k
bits is 6.25kb per player. That's a LOT of memory for qbits :)