Re: Combat order

From: Skylar (skylar@ifconfig.intserv.com)
Date: 10/13/96

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Zizazat Lazuras wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had implemented an initivative <sp?> system for
> MUD combat. Where the order of attacks each round was not the same all
> the time, it could take into account dex mods and weapon speed and things
> like that. I have been looking around the code and wondering if it is
> even such a good idea...

Its a great idea, it gives a much more realistic feel to combat, and more
control over "speed".  Here's a quick and easy way to do it...

Set PULSE_VIOLENCE to 1 sec, then go into perform_violence() and make every
call to hit, including any you've added (I have checks for dual wield,
secondary hand hit, two handed hits, haste, and a secondary hit with primary
hand - all performing some sort of hitting in perform_violence) call some
kind of random check to see if they even get that hit on the current round.
You can weight the hits a lot of ways, I use a basic gradient for handedness
and modify it by dex and weight of the weapon in that hand... it works out
pretty well... say you've got a high dex (fast) dude with two light-weight
daggers, he'll get a shitload of hits, making him seem extremely fast.
Another thing you might want to add is extra damage by weight of weapons,
its a good offset making people decide if they'd rather have more hits with
less damage or less hits with more damage (i.e. a heavy two-handed axe would
rarely strike, but if it did and you were adding 1dweight to the dam
calculation, it'd be pretty wicked.  One more thing you'll want to do if you
go this route - change the wait states for things such as kick/bash and all
that multiply by PULSE_VIOLENCE, since it'll be a very miniscule wait time.

Hope this helped...

-Sky