Re: Subjects

From: Alex (fletcher@cspo.queensu.ca)
Date: 10/25/96

> Well I already brought this up, and people had trouble comprehending the
> whole thing. My philosphy is, if you can't think of a meaningful subject
> on your own, don't post to mailing lists then. A subject is exactly
> that, a brief desciption regarding the contents of the post.
I agree completely, and unfortunately, most people these days seem to be
totally and utterly unable to do that.  Blah.

> Also, the read the FAQ thingy added to the end annoys me as well.
> Everytime I reply, I have to delete the FAQ box, otherwise the spam
> level would just increase with each reply.
I agree that it gets annoying when responding.  I wish that if it was
in the mail, that it wouldn't be duplicated, but it is, and right now,
there isn't much that can be done about it.  The reason it is there is
for all the clued out people on this list (there are a lot, but no names
involved) who ask the same question over and over again, and then proceed
to argue that nobody has told them where the FAQ is when they are told
to read it.  Yes, this has actually happened a few times to me.

> Many people argued that they need the   to use for their
> filtering functionality. I'm not sure with the windoze mail utils, but
> my mail utility allows me to filter off of many things: the sender's
> address, sender's domain, any string in the subject, sender's login or
> nickname.
Honestly?  Most mail programs aren't that clueful.  You may be able to do
it, but I can't (for example).  I use the 'circle' header to even find
the mail.

> I am speaking for three of us on the list, the other two don't even read
> their circle mail anymore.

Then why are they still on the list? (=

--
Erm... Yeah.  Whatever.