Re: [Semi-off topic] tar files

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@polarnet.com)
Date: 10/25/96

 "Eric de Groot" <ericdeg@ptdprolog.net> wrote: (Fri, 25 Oct 1996 17:21:42 -0400)

 >  Hello-
 >
 >      I am using WindowsNT to develop on, and am having a small problem that
 >  is probably very newbieish.  I have a backup from the real mud on a unix
 >  that
 >  is tar zipped(mud.tar.gz) and in NT i use winzip v5.6, wich in most cases
 >  works
 >  on tar files.  But once in a while, like on my backup, I open the tar in
 >  winzip and
 >  it only shows up as one single file, instead of each file the file
 >  contains.
 >     So i guess my question is, Does anyone know of a good zip/unzip program
 >  for tar files under winNT?  and maybee a site where i could get a copy.  Or
 >  if
 >  you have any other solutions.

1) Upgrade to winzip 6.2
2) When you are asked for a filename extension when extracting respond
with TAR.. Lots of those type of files have names like  blah_tar.gz..
Winzip isn't smart enough to figure out that the '_tar' represents a tar
archive inside the gzipped file. (or something like that.. my unix tar/
gzip understanding isn't complete...)

Hope that helps,

--Gary

-- http://www.polarnet.com/Users/gbarnett/ -- telnet://mud.polarnet.com:4000