Re: The PerfectMUD? Just an opinion

From: Takis Kalogiratos (nodens@compulink.gr)
Date: 10/31/96

>	Hrm, what is the PerfectMUD?  And if EVERYONE had it, would it be
>perfect anymore?
>	While this may be a nice thought, putting together a 'better' starting
>base ... IMHO, Circle (stock as it is) is one of the BEST coding bases,
>that I've seen, and HALF of that is because of its simplicity, and
>standardness.  By adding anything to it, you are going to see 100's of
>muds with those same additions.  And for a mud where people still debate
>over which olc is best, there's NOT that much I would think of adding to
>the base.  In fact, I would almost say that there's too much of a world
>to circle.   That encourages some guy who knows nothing about c or
>running a decent mud, to pick up the code and run AS IS.  I think it
>should come with 1 room. (grin)   What about races and all this
>'standard' stuff that everyone should have when they start out with a
>mud?  Remember the more complicated you make the base, the harder it is
>for people like me to change it (I'm re-doing even the 'taken for
>granted' things like how eq is handled, the D&D base itself, and what
>is a dang stat thing called move, and how does that relate to anything?
>I'm tossing em in the trash..)
>	I think that the very 'stock'-ness of circle encourages the right
>kinds of behaviors.   It allows good solid coders who want a challenge to
>make something new.  And, if you get in-depth enough into it, most
>well worked, custom crafted circlemud's DO NOT look alike when you get done
>with em.   Each can be a work of art on a canvas that just happened to be
>supplied by the circle crew.
>	While I agree that patches can be USEFUL things, for additions
>such as olc's, improvements and/or some great insight into the basics of
>the mud, I also believe that handing out too much of code like "here's
>how to add x spell into your mud" and "here's the races code" can cause
>the viscious strains of genericism, for which circle is ALSO known for.

 I have to disagree with you... everything I include or Code in PerfectMUD is
commented in a very STUPID way I should say, so that anyone could remove the
code or just use it as a template for his own ideas...I will also say AGAIN
that most things are used as an OPTION defined in config.c ...I someone who
does not know how to code a specific routine asks for a patch, is the same
thing as getting READY on the server...
 The only pieces of code which are not coded as options are things we see in
EVERY CircleMUD running on the net (even many of those include options by
themselves (such as informative and the ALL-POPULAR Auction command)).

 Regards,
 Takis Kalogiratos, [Creator of PerfectMUD]

ps  I would REALLY like to know what you think having the above in mind, I
don't    want to create something that will ruin the Player's fun or MUD's
Gameplay...
-----
  "...everybody stood still when they heard that scream that seemed like a
Name :
 "Yog Sototh", which noone understood its meaning but felt the strange taste
of  terror, on that dark Haloween night..."

  "... and noone understood who He was and why His power was so great, even when
 He climbed the Great Hill on Halloween and shouted His Father's Name."