Re[2]: <AdMiN> Charges, etc

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@polarnet.com)
Date: 01/13/97

At [Mon, 13 Jan 1997 09:59:25 -0500 (EST)]
Anthony J rye <ajrye@one.net> wrote:

>  On Sun, 12 Jan 1997, Corey Hoitsma wrote:
>
>  > Hello all:)
>  >
>  > I just have a question for the lot of you.
>  >
>  > Is there any 'okay' way to ask players for money while still being
>  > legal? Money to pay for your site, to pay for a fast connection,
>  > stuff that players would want to have a better mud?
>  >
>  > What do you think about selling T-Shirts or other objs that are
>  > related to the mud, but what is payed goes to the site and whatnot?
>  > I think this is pretty legal, since the players wouldn't be paying
>  > for mudding, but something to have.. uh, something like that:P
>  >
>  >
>  > Corey Hoitsma                   AKA -= Myrddin =-
>  > ____         choitsma@netcom.com
>  >  L|azmania			ah.net 7000
>  >
>  > +-----------------------------------------------------------+
>  > | Ensure that you have read the CircleMUD Mailing List FAQ: |
>  > |   http://cspo.queensu.ca/~fletcher/Circle/list_faq.html   |
>  > +-----------------------------------------------------------+
>  >
>   Sound like to me someone is out to make a fast buck. if you want to
>  charge people make you own ispn and charge people to start mud accounts on
>  it.
>   In my Eyes your taking the fun out of mud.

Now I don't want to start a flame war.. but isn't that a bit harsh?

I've never heard anyone complain about a B.B.S. (remember those :-))
taking donations to add hardware, etc. I used to run a 3 line BBS back
when a fast pc was a 386/16, and if you mentioned ethernet to someone,
they'd ask you what drugs you were on. I sunk around $6K into it, had a
blast, and received a grand total of around $250 in donations (enough to
pay the phone bill for a few months)

I believe the license agreement for Circle doesn't allow what he has
described. But IMHO that doesn't equate to 'trying to make a fast buck.'

I personally have spent about $1,000 to put a mud up (so far) and I will
never solicit or accept donations. But that is me, others may not have
another decent way to have a reliable site.

In addition, I have donated to a Circle based MUD (no, I'm not going to
say which one :P). My donation was a 2gig tape drive (after they had a
drive crash and lost everyone's player files (including my own)). I believe
that is the sort of thing that is in the spirit of the license agreement,
if not the letter.

Interpretations?

--Mallory

P.S. If you feel the need to flame, please do it to
gbarnett@polarnet.com, not to the list. Thanks.