Re: [IDEA] Thus the storms did come...

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 02/02/97

On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Niese-Petersen wrote:

> > Adds quite a bit of depth when players aren't going around wearing
> > full plate mail in the middle of a desert, eh?  Give them a challenge!
> Well. Its a good idea, but the more "real" a MUD becomes, the less people
> really wanna play them. If they have to take off their armor just to cross
> a 5-10 rooms desert, it will be to much hassle for them. And people with
> clients just add remove/wear into their macros, so why bother ?

I dunno what scale you use, but in mine, deserts are large and do have
mobiles that you can fight.  The point is to add some challenge to the
game and some other elements aside from just straight killing whatever
they possibly can with how their stats are.  In this case, this gives the
adventurous player a bit of a challenge: try killing something without
wearing armor, with low mobility, and being a bit weaker.

Generally, experienced players (no matter if you have levels or not),
have an advantage over everyone and everything else: their knowledge of
how the game works.  They have formulated strategies to use against the
weaknesses of the game, and thus are capable of beating most things
without a problem.  You certainly wouldn't need to take off your heavy
armor, but the longer you wear it in the burning heat, the more you'll
regret it (eg., getting thirsty faster, even less mobility, etc.).  If
you're just going to walk across the desert, then you can probably keep
the armor on if yu're willing to stop once in a while to rest.  But if
you plan on encountering anything in less than light clothing, you'll
probably regret it.

> Small random things like tripping, is a great idea. But should not be too
> common.  But the environment should count as making the MUD-life more
> challenging.. Love zones filled with spec_procs :)

Exactly.  Part of the enviroment is the weather.  If you pit players
against their surroundings and the mobiles, then you're making it more
challenging.  All you have to do is populate the right areas with the
right kind of mobiles (thus, the mobs are adapted to wherever they live)
and you've given players one more concern before they try to bash the
shit out of the Firekin in the fire springs lying far to the north-east.

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com