Re: [QUESTION] Randomly Generated Areas

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 02/02/97

On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Mental wrote:

> I played on a mud (Ground Zero:  Sites' a bit shaky last time I was
> there... it was at insanity.dorm.umd.edu 6666, then moved to hub.eden.com
> 6666 and appears to be back at insanity.dorm.umd.edu again.  Originally
> at smaug.inc.net 6666)  They use a 25x25 grid that expands to 30x30 when
> 15+ players log in.  It's a pretty awesome PKmud...  Made for those who
> like raw killing ( I originally played hoping that the majority of the
> players would be smarter than the mobs on most muds.  I was wrong...
> everyone told me it'd take several months to make it to merc status... I
> almost made it to hunter status [more than 2x merc] in the first few
> months...  players are too lazy most of the time)  The mud also has 3
> levels.  Each level connects randomly with member of the same level and
> only members of the same level, then make a few random connections
> between level 1 and 2, and then only 2 connections from level 2 to level
> 3.  The connections within a zone (level) are two-way, while between
> zones (levels) it's only one way, unless chance puts an up where a down
> connects.  The object of the game was to nuke the site which is how the
> mud reboots... the better players reboot the mud every 15minutes to and hour.
> If you want, check it out...  I'm sure that a few of you have been there
> before and know what I'm talking about.

In fact, this is the game the mini-mud I am building is based upon.
My original code for the maze generation was just dumped by myself and
completely rewritten.  It's a ton faster and produces better results.
The idea here is to see how fast a person can truly write the basics of
a no-frills mud.  I've been working on this one since this morning.  I
chose Ground Zero as the basis as there is very little intricies to the
system they use.  I now have the objects, mobiles, and rooms installed.
For the sake of quickness (and because there's so very few of them)
objects are coded, instead of in a db format.  Meaning, no OLC or anything
like that.  It doesn't matter though, since the mud warm boots.  When
the button is pressed players are restarted at the safe room and the
entire game has reset (eg., new process was execl'd and mud started
over).

At the rate in which I'm coding this, I could have it fairly nice looking
by next week.  Now, you may wonder why anyone would want to see how fast
they can code a mud from the ground up.  Answer: to prove a point to some
idiot that's begging me for my code and saying how long it'd take to
code a mud from scratch.  I don't think they're on this mailing list,
though.

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com