Re: Rent

From: Sammy (samedi@dhc.net)
Date: 02/14/97

On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Daniel Koepke wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Rick Ballard wrote:
>
> > Yes, I'm running under windows(NT actually, not 95). How do I fix the
> > code?
>
> There's nothing wrong with the code.  Your silly zip program didn't
> create the empty directories.  Isn't this in the faq yet?

I think it's in there, but who reads faq's? :)

I think there should also be a Q&A concerning mving pfiles/rent files from
windoze to unix (or unix to another unix in some cases).

Q:  I run my mud on a unix system and the pfile/rent file works great, but
    on my home system it's all screwed up.  What gives?

A:  Some operating systems write binary data least-signifigant-digit-first,
    while others write it most-sig-first.  Moving player files, rent
    files, mail files, and board files from one of these systems to the
    other will result in corrupted files.  The solutions to this problem
    include:

    1)  Don't bother trying to move those files
    2)  Edit your code to always write in one format (I forget the functions)
    3)  Develop an ascii read/write system to allow portability

This question's been coming up a lot lately, tho usually it's something
like "I moved my rent files to my windoze home system and now when an
existing player enters the game it crashes, tho new players don't crash
it".

Sam