Re: My Ideas

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 02/19/97

On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Niese-Petersen wrote:

> > TSR informs that it's illegal to contain any TSR specific trademarks
> > (including AD&D) stuff anywhere but their approved sites. Thus, it is
> > illegal to use "Drow" in the context of an Drow elf anywhere, save
> > what is covered by 'fair use' (thus, this e-mail is legal). You'd have
> > to read the info on their site.  http://www.trsinc.com/ I believe.
>
> Personaly I think TSR is going to far. They can't copyright words like
> that. It's just like if I came and said: "I use 'Unicorn' in my stuff. So
> now you can't" ... The word Elf have been in the world even before TSR was
> born. Drow. Well.. I don't see parents copyright their kids names.

No, they can't copyright words and names, but they can trademark them.
And that's what they've done. Trademarks are usually used for product
names/company names and/or logos, mottos, catch-phrases, or whatnot.
TSR has taken the liberty to adapt that to actual words within the game.
In the legal sense, these are valid trademarks. In reality, however,
it's complete BS. Heh, legality and reality? :)

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com