Re: [Idea]

From: Dan Shiovitz (scythe@u.washington.edu)
Date: 02/23/97

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997 elar@netwrx.net wrote:
[..]
> But, I've also played MUDS extensively.  People like to be unique.  One
> that I played, commercial MUD allowed a person to commision armor and
> equipment that was unique(within constraints). You could for example
> have made rainbow armor with a red helm of adamite.  This equipment
> would always show in your description.   I haven't heard of a patch or
> such that allows this.  Or am I just ignoring the obvious?  In the MUD I
[..]
> Does something like this exist for circle MUD?

There aren't any public patches that I'm aware of, but it wouldn't be
terribly hard to do.  The simplest way to implement it I can think of
would be to have a mob with a spec_proc that lets you type "commision
armor" and then puts you into a note editor where you can give the
description you want (and maybe specify some affects).  Then the mob
deducts some gold and says "Ok, come back in a week."  The description
gets automagically posted to some board or mailed as a note to some
god, who actually goes ahead and creates the item and puts it in a
crash-saved room.  Then later, the person comes back, says "pick up
armor", and the mob looks in the special room for armor with their
name on it.  If it's there, they get it, if not, the mob says "sorry,
I'm not done with it yet."  Seems pretty doable.  If you wanted, you
could even get fancy and make it all done automatically, but then
you'll probably get players running around with "<wielded> MY
DICK!!!!! ha ha ha", and we don't want that, do we?

--
dan shiovitz scythe@u.washington.edu shiov@cs.washington.edu
slightly lost author/programmer in a world of more creative or more