Re: [NEWBIE][SYSTEM-WIN_95]

From: Chris Rehbein (lint@jhu.edu)
Date: 02/26/97

>    Well I am wanting to start I mud of my own and I have a very stupid
>question, I D/L the sorcecodes for circlemud, and I dont want to go out and
>buy Microsoft Visual C++ compiler version 4.0 or any other compiler just to
>compile it, so I got some info that I can get this compiler called MINGW32
>from "http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/mingw32.html" but the sites not
>connected, does anyone know where a good compiler is and where to get ont
>for windows 95, (as soon as I can I getting a bigger HD and running
>Linex,<smile>.) But till then, I need Help :o), thank you!!!

There's a freeware (shareware?) port of Unix GCC called DJGPP for DOS that
compiles 32-bit, but there might be drawbacks, such as: 1) I don't know if
it handles long file names, and 2) You'll have to get wsock32.lib from
somewhere to link it with.  Other than that, it seems to work fine, albeit
it's a little confusing to get the hang of it.

- Cheers!
-Chris
lint@jhu.edu

"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake
of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."