Re: Code it yourself.

From: M.A.Clubine (maclubin@adala.smith.cis.syr.edu)
Date: 02/27/97

> But what then when people make stupid parse errors and start talking in
> all caps complaining that their code doesn't work and demand help?  We'll
> flame them just the same.  So its either help them, or get large threads
> of flames over and over.  Sure it is much better to learn to code yourself
> and not ask simple questions, but listwise It might be just easier to
> guide people on the right track (and actually have something to do with
> circle) than just flame them all the time.

Two things.

If people can't find a parse error, what are they doing coding a MUD?

If people are TALKING LIKE THIS??!?!?!  I simply delete the message
because it's very annoying to read, and it clearly displays their
attitude, and I dont care to deal with anyone of that sort.

I think from what you're saying that you are simply answering and coding
dozen of simple things for someone because it's easier than to have to
deal with them.  Yes I agree you can learn from someone walking through
code with you.  Like I said, if you post a chunk of code and ask for
help, there is nothing wrong with that.  I think when someone can't
figure out how to use a GET_HIT then they shouldn't be running a MUD.
I'm just asking for a little effort from people rather than running to
the list the first time something doesn't work, or when it hasn't been
coded for you already in a snippet.  Too many muds are run on snippets,
and when they can't find it already coded they post to this list.  That's
now what we're here for.

Monroe - Eternal

         , A ,
 /-,/-,/~`Y;Y`~\,-\,-\         Michael A. Clubine (maclubin@syr.edu)
          `Y`                   E t e r n a l  (smith.syr.edu 4000)
           }   Dragon by:	     http://borogove.syr.edu/
          {     Dan Hunt
           }                    "The land of Eternal awaits you..."