Re: [CODE] info

From: Rob Baumstark (shirak@CONNECT.AB.CA)
Date: 07/13/97

> > heh, I just wrote a Mud to System pager.
> >
> > It took me awhile to get it working right, with the
> > fact that you can't  WRITE from a mud (no tty)
> > so i had to copy the paging info (write it?)
> > into a file (using echo mind ya) and then
> > system("cat filename > /dev/ttyxx");
> >
> > heh... took me awhile, and i doubt this would work on Win32 systems,
> > although it could be setup to do so.
>
> <snip>
> >
> > if they have a Windows Port??
> >

> Hmm. By pager I assume you want a audible prompt with a text
> message to show up on the console?
>
> If so, a pipe could be created to talk to another process which
> would do it. The reason for using another process, is to not
> clutter up the mud with the windows event shell and api
> declares.
>
> Once you did that it would be a simple matter to ring the bell and
> pop up a message box..
If someone wants to write the MUD code to send a system command with the
info out, I could easily make a small Win32 program to give a message box,
and beep.  Just give me a reply, and I can probably have it done later
today.  I will probably need the command line to look something like "page
This is going to the console".  And send me the MUD code too, as I would
like to imp it myself, i think.

     Rob Baumstark:   shirak@connect.ab.ca
                      cst0656@nait.ab.ca
   Forsaken Realms:   telnet://drewl.v-wave.com:4000