Re: Players IP Addresses

From: Rob Baumstark (shirak@CONNECT.AB.CA)
Date: 07/18/97

>    After having installed the ident patch I get this in my syslogs, and
> have yet to get any new player info.
> Would this more likly be a problem on the server the mud runs on, or my
> ident configuration?
>
> Thu Jul 17 21:10:07 :: Ident error from fn2.freenet.edmonton.ab.ca:
> "INVALID-PORT"
> RS
----------

Well, I don't know too much about your problem, but I can tell you a few
things about edmonton freenet (the IP in question)
Most important, it is not really an internet connection.  You dial up, and
you get a VT100 (or sumthin) connection.  They have 2 or 3 servers, which
are connected to the 'net.  When you telnet to the MUD, your server will
request the info, and send it to you, you don't get an IP address though.
It's possible with freenet to have hundreds of different people on the MUD
at the same time, all from different houses, all with the same IP address,
but still all different people.  I have people from freenet on my MUD, and
I've only ever seen fr1.freenet.edmonton.ab.ca and
fr2.freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
  Hope this helps.

     Rob Baumstark:   shirak@connect.ab.ca
                      cst0656@nait.ab.ca
   Forsaken Realms:   telnet://drewl.v-wave.com:4000