Re: Re[2]: [CODE][OLC][?] Deleting

From: Daniel Houghton (danielh@STIMPY.CNU.EDU)
Date: 07/27/97

> Ron Cole <roncole@SHORE.INTERCOM.NET> wrote:
> Pay me now, or pay me later, but sooner or later you gotta pay :-)
>
> Space for the new field would be allocated for every prototype AND
> every instance.. wasteful.. Better to use the flag... or you could
> create a linked-list of vnums to delete..  Still better than a byte for
> each prototype.

  Okay, perhaps I'm missing something.

  Boolean variables only hold values of 0 or 1... thus, they should
require only one bit of memory... correct?  That seems minimal enough.

  If I am at all on the right track here, that should mean that a
structure containing boolean variables should be an efficient means
of storing flags.

  Okay, given that people are going through all the trouble to do
bitfields or bitvectors, I must be missing something.

                                                Daniel Houghton
                                                      AKA
                                                    Garadon