Re: [bug] the known load mob thing

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 07/29/97

On Tuesday, July 29, 1997 8:30 PM, Adam Beytin [SMTP:mbeytin@UMD5.UMD.EDU]
wrote:
> Don't know if anyone has ever even cared about fixing this one, but here
> it is.  When you have, say this in your zone file:
> M 0 1 2 1  (I think the 4th arg is max #)
> M 0 1 2 2
> If you kill the mob that loaded in room 2, but not in room 1, it will load
> again, having two of the same mob in room 1 instead of one in each.
> I prefer not to have this problem, and there are two ways to fix.
> One, create a new mob for each room, but that sucks and just wastes memory
> and machine time..
> Or, you could do what I'm gonna do very soon., as soon as I get qaround to
> it.
>
> Change the effect of that arg to only limit the max # in a room.
> Add a new mob stat, that is, the max that can load.
> For objects, you COULD make a stat that is the max number, but it would
> only complicate things in the reset_zone function, as you would have to
> change the O, G, and E functions, and I think they are mostly part of the
> same three arg function.., along with M, so just mobs need be effected.

Why not store the pointer to the mob, when the zone loads it? When the mob
dies, reset the pointer and start a countdown to repopping that mob. You
could
add the new options to your room editor and eventually remove the zone
commands
entirely.

This approach stops the "all mobs reset at once" and "mobs stacking up in
one spot" problems.

--Mallory

"Never worry about the bullet with your name on it. Instead, worry about
shrapnel addressed to 'occupant.'" --Murphy