Re[2]: [NEW IDEA?] Binary Pfile Editing system

angus@EDGIL.CCMAIL.COMPUSERVE.COM
Date: 07/30/97

     Quote ------>
     I've thought about this before too, and even started on it a little.
     All these reply's don't take into account that you can't set
     everything..., and an offline editor would be able to compact the file
     too.  I think it would be nice to be able to have it print a player
     list with name, level, any other info you want..., or export to text
     file.  Modify the occasional record.

     This is a great idea, BUT, you would have to change the pfile while
     the mud is shutdown, wouldn't you?  it could get nasty if you are
     changing things on the players that are presently playing.  if you
     moved over to a schema where the each play has their own file, kinda
     list the .obj files, you could lock the record open with a flag in the
     file as soon as you open it with the editor.  still would run into a
     race condition, but less to worry about...

     Good Luck!

     --Angus