Re: [NEWBIE] New MUD Questions

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 08/05/97

On Tuesday, August 05, 1997 2:13 PM, Daniel Whelan [SMTP:merlin@OPHELAN.COM]
wrote:
> Hi, I'm completely new to running a MUD and am in the planning stages of
> setting one up. I don't have any coding experience with CircleMUD, but do
> have a lot of ideas for my MUD. I have played many MUDs for a LONG time,
> though. I am interested in having a level system of 1-50 mortal and 51-60
> imms. I am also interested in adding races and classes. How can I
> accomplish these things? Also, is there anything that I should know about
> CircleMUD being a "newbie" to it? Also, are there any cheap places for
> hosting a MUD? Thanks in advance for those that help me out on these simple
> questions.

If I were in your situation, I would do one of two things:

1) Find a mud that you would enjoy working on. Be sure to tell the imps there
that
you will be starting your own mud one day. Better to find a mud that isn't
like what
you envision yours to be, so you don't end up with people problems :-)

2) Get a seperate machine, install an OS on it, and run it at home. (your own
little
network) .. then when you've plunked away on the code for a year or so and
have
your ideas clearly defined, find a site and advertise for people to help you
implement
your plan. A standard ISP account would serve to 'show off' your work to
prospective
helpers and get people's input, etc. You don't need a fixed ip address to do
that.

I did #2 and skipped #1 for the most part. Having a clearly defined plan, my
own machine
and a demonstrated knowledge of networking allowed me to produce a plan my
ISP
could accept, and they let me locate the machine there. Over a year later
we're still
at the same site and proceeding along quite nicely.. just got our first
hometown installed
today and lots of things coming together :-)

A mud is a serious business. You have to run it with a plan and sufficient
resources
or you'll get stuck going nowhere, or end up a victim of a hard drive crash,
a hacker
or worse.

my $0.02

--Mallory

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never
expect it.     - Jack Handey