Re: Aggr mobs

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 08/06/97

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, System Operator: Interqom wrote:

-+How would I go about creating mobs that will attack other mobs?  I have
-+attempted a spec_proc, but those are only called when a player does
-+something with that player,mob,room, or object in use.

Aside from the comments on looking at the code (which should really be done),
a person that has ran/played Muds for any amount of time would know of the
rather infamous Puff, who speaks without any player intervention.  My
suggestion (and I know several people have already chided me for making
these suggestions, but it's not really like I care) would be to *think*
about such things before you inquire here.

As already suggested, it might be a good idea to make a MOB_AGGR_MOB and
model it after the other aggressive flags.  This approach, however, lends
itself to more than one problem.  First, the idea of having 40-100 fights
during the game at any given time is not a very enjoyable idea.  If it were
a dream, it'd be classified as a nightmare, and undoubtedly sysadmins would
throw a fit about such a thing.

My main suggestion would be to use spec-procs to make only particular mobs
attack other mobs of a particular kind, or severely limit the number of
MOB_AGGR_MOB flags.  Of course, I think that mobs are much too much like
cardboard cutouts.  They should be more than fodder for the canabalistic
warrior that roams the variety of multiverses.

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
Dance in the darkness, bleeding rage, crying with inhumanity, and