Re: [NEWBIE] Getting OasisOLC

From: George (greerga@DRAGON.HAM.MUOHIO.EDU)
Date: 08/07/97

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Daniel Whelan wrote:

>Look, I've never used it so I asked a question. If you don't feel like
>answering because you think it's a stupid question, than don't answer. But

Good advice: Think before you post.
means: If you're asking _where_, why not go look for it?
and: If you're asking _what_, why not look at it?

If you don't, many people will begin that 'whining newbies want code handed
to them on a silver platter' thread.  If you attempt a little effort,
people will be a lot more willing to help.

I downloaded CircleMUD, now what do I do?
vs
I've tried compiling CircleMUD on Win95 but it keeps giving me a compiler
error here:

>don't go around wasting bandwidth...I couldn't read the code, faq, OR
>documentation because I needed to know where to get it. Now that I have
>that, thanks to a much nicer person than you, I am going to download it and
>read it. And no, I don't know what UYFGGCS means.

You want the FAQ, read the bottom of every message you get on this mailing
list.

I have no objection to people asking what it is, but where is clearly
detailed in the FAQ (FTP site, and two clicks from Off-Cambot Site) which
is in that neat little box.

Forget Daniel, now I feel like Alex.

Anyway:

Pre#6 of Oasis.  Copy your source to another directory, install
OasisOLC.tar.gz there, and then apply my patch to it.  I recommend you not
install this on top of your real source as the testing is not done and I am
not making these patches incrementally, they are all based off of v1.3.
That patch includes going through ?edit.c, reformatting them, doing some
tweaking, and trying to eliminate places where NULL pointers are bad.

--
greerga@muohio.edu me@null.net | Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity
http://www.muohio.edu/~greerga | is not thus handicapped. -- Elbert Hubbard