[off topic?] exploits?

From: Robert Sinland (rsinland@ERSKINE.POLARISTEL.NET)
Date: 08/11/97

The past few days I have noticed an individual trying to logon to the
mud.  Thing is he/she never gets past the
"get name" part as it shows up in users.  Odd thing is this person will
try again and again, up to 100 times or more at a whack! (based on
socket num as it shows in users)

Now as far as the mud itself went this seemed to possibly add some lag,
and it was getting annoying to boot, so I sitebanned his origin.  My
question is does anyone know of some exploit that he could have been
trying to use from that point of connection, or was this just a very
unusual individual?
Thoughts?
RS