Re: Spell Memorizations/Prayers

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 08/12/97

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Per Vognsen wrote:

-+Im writing to the list, asking if there's anybody there know of a public
-+available spell memorization/prayer system, or if there are anybody out
-+there that won't to share their's, before i start writing my own!

Ahh, the dreaded idea of reinventing the wheel.  I did a spell memorization
system for someone before (Nashak?), but I don't have the code (even if I
had kept it, after a hard drive failure I wouldn't have it).  Anyway, that's
not the point, of course.  Sometimes doing things by yourself is the best
way to do things.  While reinventing the wheel seems a waste of time, more
often than not, people that bother to reinvent the wheel actually see some
benefit from it.  The subordinate (ooh, big word) reasoning behind the
"reinventing the wheel" argument is typically because doing it for yourself
would consume time; often because what you wish to do is on the border of
your abilities.  Reinventing the wheel can help you understand what you're
doing, why it works, how it works, when it works (or better, why it doesn't
work, when it doesn't work, what you should have done, and how you can fix
it).

Regardless, the basic idea is really dependant upon how you wish your system
to work, exactly.  The fact that we have classified such things into "systems"
at all show a big fault in muds: mindless drones reproducing their favorite
mud.  If you are, say, reproducing Sojourn's magic system, you cannot hope to
be better than what they are.  Not because Sojourn is infinitely greater than
any mud (that's false), but if you clone something the best you can get is an
exact duplicate.  Why would anyone leave one mud for an exact duplicate? :)~

Okay, aside from the rambling, if you need technical help, e-mail me.  I am
still a bit rusty, but I have spent the last few days from 12-5am coding. :)

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
Think.