Re: Damage messages

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 08/16/97

On Saturday, August 16, 1997 11:08 AM, Jeremy Elson
[SMTP:jelson@CIRCLEMUD.ORG] wrote:
<snip>

> One of the tweaks I've always meant to get around to doing but never
> did was change the messages you receive when hitting (e.g., tickle,
> massacre, etc.) so that the message relates to the number of HP taken
> off the victim relative to their total HP, instead of based on the
> absolute number of HP taken off.  Is the general consensus that such a
> scheme is a Good Thing?

Hmm. I'm probably going against the grain here, as usual.. but here goes
anyway :-)

The standard circle messages, and the proposed upgrade don't seem very
realistic to me.

I have coded the following solution. Not sure if it's material for the stock
circle mud,
but what the heck, I'll post my idea anyway :-)

1) Each object contains a pointer to a message structure.

2) The mesage structure is a linked list of damage messages.

3) Each weapon has a set of messages for the following actions, and each
    message structure is filled in by the builder of the weapon. The builder
    can create as many structures in the list as they are willing. Each of
    the following messages contains three strings.. you, vict, room as well
    as a flag for the affects of critical success/failure. (you fall down,
hit
    yourself, are stunned; or you stun the victim, bash them down, etc)
   a) Critical Success (you did a really good job with your attack)
   b) Normal Success
   c) Normal Failure
   d) Critical Failure (you really screwed up)

Upon hitting (or missing) a random roll is taken to select the appropriate
message structure. Then the appropriate message is sent.

This solves the boring mesage problem; "you massacre the evil orc"
 again and again, while allowing each weapon to use unique messages.

Example for a club:  (off the top of my head)

a) you: Your $p creates a dent in $N's head!
    vict: $n crushes your head in with $e $p.
  room: $n creates a dent in $N's head with his $p.

b) you: Your $p connects solidly with $N's body.
    vict: $n solidly hits you with $e's $p.
  room: $n swings $e $p at $N and scores a solid hit.

c) you: Your $p barely misses $N.
    vict: $n misses you with his $p.
  room: $n swings $e $p at $N and misses.

d) you: You miss $N with your $p, falling down in the process.
    vict: $n missed you with $e $p, and falls down!
  room: $n swings at $N and loses his balance, causing him to fall.

Granted, and OLC helps make this a reality.. but it could be done
with extra optional fields for objects in the *.obj files for those who
lack/don't want OLC.

Thoughts?

--Mallory

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never
expect it.     - Jack Handey