Re: bpl12 Suggestions

From: George (greerga@DRAGON.HAM.MUOHIO.EDU)
Date: 08/17/97

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Jeremy Elson wrote:

>>        - Gets rid of the olc.c warning.
>
>I kept that in so people would know olc isn't done :-).
In olc.c:
#warning This is not done.

:)

>>        - Loaded objects appear in inventory, not ground
>
>Seems just as inconvenient to have it load into your inventory if
>you're loading for someone else..

Personal preference here really.

>>        - Stack overflow bugfix.
>
>Ack..  I keep meaning to look for those.  (Go to the bugtraq archive
>at www.geek-girl.com and search for gethostbyname...)

Thankfully this is not exploitable as it only occurs if you have an 'xname'
extry over 20 characters long and it is CircleMUD's fault.

>The buffer system seemed like a really good idea at the time, but for
>this exact reason it seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth.

And it's a pain in the butt to get off of that system too!

>I'll take a look at your system.  Unfortunately, I kind of like the
>return-style more than the if-else-else-else-else..... style, because
>I think the return style is easier to read and write.

That's why I added release_my_buffers();        :)

I'm not done with the patch yet, there's soooo many references to your
system.  Check out the projects page for a snapshot with the
release_my_buffer() type of releasing.  Soon as it's done, it should be
good.  It prevents 'lost' buffers by releasing them all every tick although
I should change that to every 10 ticks or something, but in an optimal
case, release_all_buffers() shouldn't be needed at all.

--
greerga@muohio.edu me@null.net | Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity
http://www.muohio.edu/~greerga | is not thus handicapped. -- Elbert Hubbard